If you are lucky enough to live in a city like Costa Mesa, CA that gives you ridesharing options such as Uber and Lyft, you’ve certainly got no excuses for you to get where you need to go. But, unfortunately, just with any transportation, there is a danger behind it. So don’t think that just because you are utilizing the excellent option of Uber that you won’t be somehow caught up in an accident at one time or another.
What You Need to Know About Uber Accidents
Both Lyft and Uber are major corporations and are worth billions of dollars, so they must ensure that their drivers are covered by $1 million both in uninsured/underinsured motorist and liability coverage. This means that anyone injured in an Uber or Lyft accident that was not at fault for the accident may have the ability to collect a complete package of compensation for medical costs incurred, along with pain and suffering.
You may be compensated if one of the following situations applies to you:
- A passenger or motorist was injured in a collision where a ridesharing driver was negligent.
- The driver of a ridesharing car was injured in an accident where another driver was negligent.
- A passenger injured in a ridesharing car, no matter which driver was negligent.
Here are the three stages of an Uber driver and how responsibility falls within each of those stages:
- Stage 1. The driver is using his care for personal reasons and is not available to pick up passengers. His own insurance is then responsible for any accidents he is in.
- Stage 2. The driver is available or waiting for passengers, but he is not carrying any passengers at this time. If the driver is available but not carrying a passenger, an accident will primarily be covered by the driver’s insurance. Uber may provide additional liability coverage to cover property damage.
- Stage 3. The driver is carrying a passenger. If an accident occurs when a driver carries a passenger, the driver and passenger are covered under Uber’s liability policy.
If you are involved in a car accident while utilizing an Uber service, or while on the clock as an Uber driver, contact an experienced Uber accident personal injury attorney by visiting a personal injury attorney directory today.